Thursday, October 13, 2011

Reality - Really?

No, it must be spelled realety.  Who knows?  When people don't care enough to actually think about the words they are attempting to say, what difference does spelling make?

This is a brief gripe session about my profession and the lack of respect my own kind pay to our industry.  Day after day, I must hear people destroy the word realty.  As well as Realtor.  My own company's founder and owner for four decades uses these foolish terms continually as do all the other Realtors in my office except for the daughter of the boss.  She's now the managing broker as her dad moves into semi-retirement (an expression that always makes me picture a truck driver retiring his old semi!).  Anyway, the daughter who grew up hearing the awful pronunciation of her dad's profession, somehow trained herself to say it correctly, so now she and I are the two of our group who know how to say "realty." 

Above, I said that this strange, non-word must be spelled realety.  The fact that most people (even many who know how to pronounce nuclear) say real-i-ty must be a bi-product of their ease of saying realestate, run together in this way as though dealing with one word.  So it follows that a company that practices realestate would place the word realety in its title.  And those agents working there are Realetors.  If people would stop and write down what they are saying - which Realtors do every day but use the actual spelling of realty - they should notice that the way they pronounce it does not match up with the way they write it.  They write two syllables and pronounce a third one that isn't there.  Now if they were to carefully sound out the manner in which they are speaking the word realty, they would probably have to write reality.  Why would they then not notice that in reality, they are speaking an entirely different word?  And why would anyone who uses these terms daily not only know how to pronounce them but also be instructing others (at least by example) in how to say them? 

So if you call my realestate office and anyone other than the managing broker should answer the phone (yours truly does not answer phones at the office), you'll hear, "CherryValleyRealety; how may I help you?"  Hopefully you will answer, "Oh, well, in reality I was hoping to reach a realty office!"  Of course you wouldn't do this, and as a courteous person, neither do I.  But it always requires discipline on my part to not hold an impromptu class in simple pronunciation logic.

It occurs to me that a professional Realtor would have reason to say either Realtor or realty somewhere between 20 and 40 times per day - over the course of a year, perhaps 10,000 times.  So in consistently saying Realetor and realety instead, the four-decade professional fellow mentioned above has waisted around half a million syllables and made people like me want to stop and correct him half a million times.  Hard to find any logic to this common foolishness.

But it does give critics like me a chance to feel superior!

3 comments:

  1. Good morning, markman. I've read your blog since you started sharing your thoughts on this site. Even when I don't completely agree with you it's been of much interest reading what you think. A few weeks ago I set up a password with a goal of commenting. But that got lost in my shuffling world and only now have I set up a new one. In comments on Epiphany Expanded you mention how few comments there are vs number of readers. I knew I couldn't wait any longer.

    My comment today relates to Reality - Really? From the time I was growing up and carrying on through adulthood with my own sons, words -- and the misuse of -- have been a hobby, creating both laughter and agony. We groan at speakers who say "nucular" and grit our teeth at the ever-increasing mis-use of "I" when "me" is correct. We laughed at W's Bush-isms (and as a side note, I was less embarrassed at his speech patterns than I was at Clinton's escapades.)

    As I read through your blog about real estate professionals who don't say realtor properly, I was cheering you on . . . until the next to last paragraph. You calculated an approximate number of times the words are mis-pronounced and how many syllables are "waisted." My cheers turned to groans and probably even an audible "oh, markman." You should have written "wasted" unless of course the extra syllables were stitched on a belt.

    Be ever so careful about feeling too superior!

    But keep blogging!

    dawn_ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. My deep appreciation goes to dawn_ellen! Not only for taking the time to comment, but for making a terrific addition to my site and a lovely slam on a cocky writer where it was deserved!

    Though I often employ the play-on-words method for effect (i.e. saying "No thanks" to the offer of more food because otherwise it will go to waste - I say it will do so no matter which way that is spelled.) this mistake above was purely that, a mistake! And as much as I hate making them, I do appreciate being corrected on them. Too bad I don't have dawn_ellen as a proof-reader for all I produce. And I know I need to stop trusting spell-check to handle all my rapidly entered content. As in this example, a wrong word, spelled correctly, is still going to humble the mis-user.

    And humbled I am, but also delighted my mistake brought in another comment. Glad to have your input and looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It occurs to me I should add another note here:
    For those unfamiliar with editing a blog, you may not know I can easily go into my post and correct the egregious error mentioned by dawn_ellen, then remove these two comments entirely. I have not done so because I want anyone joining this reading at any time to notice that I prefer to leave my mistakes for the lightness they may provide and also to see that corrections sent by readers are welcome.

    ReplyDelete