Friday, August 24, 2012

Plop Fizz

Conservatives - listen up.  I'm one of you!

Not really, in the way the word is typically used.  I am a strong conservative in practical living but I honestly don't know what folks even mean any more by referring to themselves as conservative as opposed to liberal.  Both of these terms are charged and pre-disposed to bring pejorative jabs thrown by someone of either persuasion.

My conservatism is expressed in actually thinking of ways to conserve.  Very likely, I use less water than do most of my fellow countrymen.  With no detailed evidence offered as to this assumption, I will simply state that it would be difficult for a typical citizen of this American society to use less water than I personally use.  I also try not to be a constant consumer of anything that can be used more efficiently.  I gladly eat left-overs and rarely throw away any food or other consumables.  My wife and I recycle, in just about every way we have discovered that recycling actually works.  We even wear a good many thrift-store clothing items, dressing in good quality rags for which others paid the big bucks and then grew tired of wearing.  We buy many household items including furniture at garage sales or Goodwill.  Certainly much of this is done in an effort to just get by financially, but if I suddenly became wealthy I would not totally cease to buy recycled goods because I think conservatively.  The cosmos needs humans to think in that vein.

In our home, you will find half-sheet paper towels on the rack.  Yes, they (Bounty, if I recall) are a little more expensive than some others, but with that half-sheet option, I find we use little more than half as many full sheets as we once used.  Ergo, a net savings results (and less to throw away).  You will find re-sealable plastic bags kept for multiple uses, sometimes even washed out and dried by a half-sheet paper towel.  We find tap water to be quite drinkable.  The thermostat in our home is at 79 degrees when cooling and at 68 when heating. 

Many years ago, I began to notice how often humans do things not because we have clearly thought out a plan and followed it, but because some clever marketing idea got established in our heads.  Remember the television commercials for Alka Seltzer a good number of years ago?  Plop,plop - fizz,fizz, oh what a relief it is - all set to a jingle tune that stuck in the brain?  How many more antacid tablets do you suppose they sold over the years simply by planting that idea of two tablets dropping into the glass to create that fizz-fizz?  It simply occurred to me one day that I - a person who never needed two aspirin for a minor headache relief - did not need to use both tablets from a packet to gain the acid relief I desired.  So for decades, I have dropped one tablet into the glass and waited for the one fizz while folding over the packet tightly to await my next antacid need.  And I have never had any problem created by refusing that second plop & fizz.  Same for those fizzing cold or allergy medications.

Label me liberal if you like because I believe it's best to live-and-let-live, to help the masses where possible with whatever generosity I can offer but to leave individuals alone with their personal pursuits of happiness; yet when it comes to how I govern my own use of resources available for my consumption, I am so conservative I would probably shock the average person.  And how many conservatives do you know who make much effort to actually conserve?  Labels are typically narrowly focused and often extremely misleading.

Thinking of the whole business gives me heartburn; I may need to try a plop-fizz.

2 comments:

  1. Bounty half-sheet rolls can be bought in 8 or 12 (or more) bulk packs at a much lower per roll price -- lower than the so-called "bargain" or generic brands which are nowhere near as good.

    Of course, some "conservatives" look only at the price they pay at the time and don't want to spend all that money at once.

    You can save a lot more money if you take the long term view and look at the cost over time, rather than trying to get cheap "bargains" when you run out.

    Some people seem to think being a "conservative" is being cheap and miss out on the true meaning of being a true conservative.

    On the other hand, when it comes to freedom, it's better to be liberal every where you can afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Mark (and Douglas), conservative where it really counts and is meaningful. Phyllis gets a little upset with my insisting on saving boxes and cardboard, recyclable plastic, glass and cans, etc. I make an occasional trip to the Sedona Recycles dumpsters and deposit them, usally when I'm going out anyway, just to save gas. That's important too. I had to use 66 of the 125 dollars I made today on carpet just to fill that stupid van's gas tank.

    Thanks for the tips on things like paper towels. Another thing I get criticized for is not throwing tisues away every time I blow my nose lightly. I can get two or three blows out of them much of the time. We also buy them at the Dollar store. Save over WalMart.

    I'm all for real conservatism, not the ideological stupid kind.

    ReplyDelete