Sunday, December 23, 2012

Atheism

Am I a theist?  No.  Am I therefore atheist?  Ah - a little more clarity is called for, no?  The correct, short answer is that I am a-theistic, or not a believer of any god concept.  But the way many people today use the word atheist is to ascribe to someone a belief while the individual is proclaiming non-belief.

Words in the English language always beg to be played with by nutty semi-linguists such as I.  (And I don't want to cheapen this by calling myself cunning.)

Fun with words and phrases can be kept in the humorous mode while also at times asserting subtle nuances, but we also have to be sure that our audience is able to laugh along with the supposed wit.  For instance, it's in the poorest of taste for anyone to make light of rape, even if it's legitimate!  (Sorry about that.)  But consider the opportunity offered in the language to muse on this strange coincidence:  After a woman is raped she would likely seek therapy - ergo, facing the prospect of walking right through the office door with a sign reading Therapist, or the rapist.  Probably not a very comforting idea.

But back to the subject at hand - words that deal with god or no-god, and how do we label ourselves?  That is the question.

One of the Free Thought Bloggers wrote this in a recent post:   At this moment, atheists dominate humanists, agnostics, freethinkers, rationalists, secularists and all those other squishy sub-categories who are still squirming at the ‘A’ label. If you’re not convinced that any actual deity really exists, then you’re an atheist.  It’s that easy.

Nope - not that easy!  And this assertion above is part of the reason it isn't easy.  The writer has a touch of the belligerent approach here.  If he isn't being actually militant in his stand, he is at least a bit aggressive and challenging - much like today's numerous vocal atheists who are challenging, maybe even militant, toward religionists.  He's not being merely not theistic but is actively opposing theists.  In the above comment, the writer also bates me along with other freethinkers, belittling our stance as timid or holding a weak position for one who is "not convinced an actual deity really exists."  While I am quite comfortable having no belief in and no concern whatever for a potential phantom deity, I am still not trying to challenge everyone I meet by using toxic terms.  Nor does this cry for peace between believers and non-believers make me a faitheist - that newly coined hybrid word that tries to cover those who are on some kind of fence between the two.  Even such a noted atheist as Michael Shermer has been labeled in this pejorative way, and also called an accommodationist, which is its own pejorative within a select group.  My personal life today (after years as a fundie and three-times as many years as an escapee), is far from any fence, walking boldly in any direction I choose but always away from that arcane world of belief.  More on this in a moment.

The trouble is in the meanings of terms, meanings that are continuously changing; in the case of atheist, the original meaning has long been slanted.  In most usage, it has lost the simple meaning of not a theist.  It actually could be likened to the current (and likely future) meaning ascribed to the word gay, as an example.  Though you may well be a person who enjoys life and might have said (in a time now past) that you were happy and gay, or that you had a gay old time at the party, why would you not likely now use that expression?  The meaning of gay has been altered and most heterosexual males, even if not homophobic, would typically not take the chance on using the term.  The desire to avoid confusion is essentially the reason many of us don't wave the flag of atheism.

One of my long-time friends, a former devotee of a cult I also represented as a minister, calls himself now an atheist, although he places qualifiers along with that term.  In his bio, he says that he has become an ardent agnostic atheist (that's one way to belong to triple-a).  I rather like the qualifiers.  A newer acquaintance who endured a long stint within the same quirky fundamentalist sect calls himself an atheist and doesn't qualify it.  Or at least, no qualifiers have shown up yet in our private communications.

Why have I never chosen to label myself flatly as an atheist?  I certainly am no longer associated with any concept of theism and have no interest whatever in whether there is or is not a god of any kind.  The matter of not claiming the atheist handle was, for me, quite simply the desire to stay more in a neutral zone.  Perhaps you've noticed the reference in my blog's title.

In actual fact, if we were all etymological purists, sticking with the original meaning of the term atheist should be neutral enough.  [One who is theistic believes in a god; one who is a-theistic does not.]  However, the usage has morphed over the years.  This may explain why many people who wish to seem less aggressively anti-god will refer to themselves as non-theists.  Like me, I suppose, these folks have heard over many decades the spitting out of the word atheist, knowing full-well that the speaker judged someone very harshly indeed for holding such a horrible belief.

And now the term belief comes into play, adding to the confusion.  Those inclined to believe in a god have come to see someone who is neutral (having NO belief in any god) as holding a belief that there is NO GOD.  Big difference here - again owing to the semantic nuances available within the language.  Having  no belief in a god is not the same as having a belief there is no god.  This very twist came up recently when I had written to an old friend that I no longer had any belief in any gods.  Her reply stated something about "If I believed there was no God,..." which immediately addressed the twist in meaning of words and phrases.

Though I don't often use Wikipedia as an authority on words, this is one time I chose to check into that source first.  Why?  Because that website is intrinsically a part of the realm of current and active usages that show up as accepted meanings for today.  The meaning given to atheist shows within the first short paragraph to be one of those ever-changing things.  You might call it definition-creep.  Today's common meanings of the words atheist and atheism have crept so far from the original that vast numbers of people seem to accept today only the altered  (incorrect) meanings.

This incorrect usage is so pervasive that even I, a reasonably dedicated semanticist, have been guilty of glibly utilizing the terms in a wrong way in some of my own writings.  In expounding upon my own coined expression devised to proclaim my separation from the whole shootin' match, I stated this:  Rather than calling myself an atheist, saying there is no god, or an agnostic, saying I don't know; I prefer my own term of theo-neutralist, meaning I don't know and I don't care.  So I perhaps got across my point of introducing a clearer personal label into the mix - clarifying my detachment - but in the effort, I misused the original word atheist in the way it is typically abused.  My apologies for that.

Atheist merely means not theist - not believing in a god.  The fact that over recent decades more and more people are stepping up to proclaim atheism as a way of life has begun to set and harden the altered meaning.  That's apparently because many of the new (zealous?) atheists are declaring that religion is doing little if any good for humanity and is usually harmful.  (I often make this case myself, and I believe it to be true of religion, whether or not there may be some invisible supreme being.)  These bold folks have inadvertently assisted in the drift of the term atheist from meaning no belief to meaning belief against.  While I applaud the effort as well as the fortitude to fight the uphill battle against entrenched belief systems, it probably would be better had the struggle started from a more sure footing by first establishing a positive meme rather than standing firmly on being not something else.  That approach eventually worked for protestants - those whose only basis for a label was their protesting against Catholicism - but the protest itself was more of a positive movement and was not as weak as merely saying I am acatholic.  That one probably would never have worked at all. 

The folks who call themselves Brights have an interesting approach.  Choosing to seek out a word that was not based on the negative - non-theist, a-theist, non-believer - they eventually landed upon the term bright, used as a noun, not intending to claim more brightness of mind or some special relationship to the sun perhaps, but meaning a positive position on life and a sound approach to the naturalistic worldview.  These folks express a bright outlook on what is and what can be understood rather than allowing themselves to be known for a lack of belief in the supernatural and mythological.  There is no way to tell yet whether this Bright meme will catch on significantly in the larger world, but it is rapidly growing as an online constituency of folks who share a positive, naturalistic view and want to see more civic accomplishment that is not guided and/or hampered by traditional religious views.

So to sum up, my simple reason for not using the atheist label is based on these two points: 1.) Just as Wikipedia reveals, the term no longer is accepted to mean merely not believing; common usage has made it a more militant belief against.  2.) My desire is to stand on a positive platform rather than just being someone who does not believe something many others believe.  My atheism is not my public persona. 

I am a Bright, I am a Humanist, I am a freethinker.  I love humanity but hate what humanity has done to itself through beliefs, most of which are strictly based in superstition and fear.

9 comments:

  1. I also struggle with this dilemna of not knowing what to call myself. I sometimes feel wimpy for not wanting to call myself an atheist but I don't do so for the same reasons you gave. On the other hand if I call myself a freethinker some people don't know just what that means and I feel I'm being evasive.
    I'm assuming you were a minister in WCG. I'd be curious to know what percentage of former members would now consider themselves unbelievers of some sort. I posted on Robert McNally's site about 12 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newlife,
      Yes, I spent eight years ministering to the duped and downtrodden of the WCG after I had my thorough indoctrination at AC in Texas through the mid 1970s. My story is still the most recent one posted on Robert's site (Non-Believer...), and I went back through that site to read the many posts of years ago. I don't recall seeing a "Newlife" tag anywhere on the site, but of course, I suspect you have changed that along with much of your communication and contact info as most of us have.
      THANKS for commenting; I wish you the best in your attempts to adjust life to your satisfaction.

      Delete
  2. Mark, Sorry about that. I didn't mean to go incognito. My name is Max Carey and my story appeared on Robert's blog in 2000. I came up with the Newlife name when I opened a google account. It's intended to mean that I am looking forward which I don't always do a very good job of. In reading your story it sounds like you were able to put it behind you and move on. One of my problems is that my wife remains stuck in UCG and has zero interest in talking about it. It's not my business or intention to deconvert her but after 17 years of marriage [we met through the church] during which we talked about everything she has never as much as asked why I made such a radical move. As a result I don't really feel respected. We remain together because we are good friends and we get along well in most other areas.
    Didn't mean to turn this into a venting session but it has bothered me ever since 93. I know it's time to get over it and I'm doing better but every time I discover something about the origin of christianity of religion in general I want to share it with someone and she is my best friend. Thanks for listening to my rant.
    I appreciated your column. I feel very much the same. I hadn't looked at your column for awhile. I'll do a better job at checking in.
    Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max,
      You have both my sympathy and my compliments! It's not always easy for me to live peaceably with my dear wife who was a quasi-Catholic growing up and has never been a real religionist at all. If I had to deal with an active CoG member in my current world (on that intimate level!) I'm not sure how I would measure up as an understanding mate.

      Thanks for checking in and for commenting. Glad to get to know you.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Anon...
    It does work. Now write what you really feel.

    To my earlier commenter, Newlife, pardon my skipping of your query about the percentage of folks from the former Church of God members who consider themselves non-believers.

    Basing my thinking on nothing more than my own scanning of various websites, I will guess only about a quarter of them gave up all forms of godism. I would like to think that this estimate is vastly wrong due to the simple reason that many who gave up religion completely are happy to never tap into such websites. On a site designed for those of us who were at Ambassador College in Texas from its inception ('64) through the late '70s, it appears that at least three quarters of those who comment on many matters are still very much into offering prayers, asking for same, and are right-wing political cats. And I also note that not a single new story has been added to McNally's Non-Believer site since my own was published more than a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the connection is working. The previous comment was lost and I really didn't want to write it again. Here's the short version.

    Thanks for the heads up on the Bright movement. It was good to learn more about the idea.

    Unfortunately, "Bright" just strengthens the charge of arrogance hurled at atheism. If there are Brights then there must be "dims". I recall that was my first thought when I read of the Bright movement a decade ago.

    I don't think Bright is very valuable in that it is a very amorphous noun hijacked from a very nice adjective. The noun tries to cover too many areas simply because someone hated the word "atheist".

    I worked very hard to become an atheist (one who has no belief in a God or gods). Besides, I have invested in more than a dozen books with the name "Atheist" or "Atheism" in the titles. There is nothing wrong with the word unless you listen to the fundamentalist Christians and sometimes uninformed atheists.

    Jim Baldwin

    PS-"There once was a time when all the people believed in God and the Catholic church ruled. This time in history was called the Dark Ages."

    From The Quotable Atheist

    Now that would have been the time to have some Brights around. Like most things in life it's always a question of timing. :-)

    I'm just sayin'...





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, find the title "Bright" confusing and shy away from it. I'm a humanist, a skeptic, a
      freethinker and snti-theist. Imaginary gods have done nothing positive for humanity. They've kept the majority of humans ignorant and superstitious, while they grovel before and support the lazy, crafty con artists who deliverately keep them enslaved. It did that for me for much of my life, and if there is anything I abhor and resent, it is being ignorant, superstitious and conned.

      Delete
  5. Good thoughts, Gentlemen - I deeply appreciate your comments and your effort to read my output. We all continue to learn, adjust, ditch a few ideas, try to keep a sense of humor and keep on truckin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for following up. I had forgotten about it. 25% seems like a reasonable number. I'm in a facebook group of former members and that's about what we have.
    I'd love to call myself a "Bright" but I'm afraid not many people would buy it. I guess the freethought movement, being composed of independent thinkers, are going to have different opinions on subjects like this.

    ReplyDelete