Sunday, February 17, 2013

Well, I Did It!

Somehow I'm filled with the thrill of accomplishment when all I did was to remove an irritant from my daily life.  But let's face it, how often do we manage this kind of positive step?

My previous post was about fanaticism and on the spur of the moment I tossed out a simple thought while speaking of my disgust with a contact on my facebook account.  That thought was "just un-friend the whole website."

So now you might call me a fanatic also, but all I am is old and cranky, easily frustrated by a few things - such as daily email messages to check this or that notice that is pending.

Today I did it!  Over the year (or maybe three?) that I was a participant in that "social" media, I found it useful not at all and quite often the notices in my emails and some of the posts I did eventually see were downright irritating.  I suddenly asked myself the straight-forward question: Why would I invite and encourage a daily irritant in my life?  Aren't there enough of these that we cannot control?  While musing on my thought of un-friending the website, I tried to recall a specific unquestioned benefit I had realized from my having joined the facebook world.  Couldn't do it.  Oh, it was nice being able to look at the photo album of a grand-niece's wedding, to which my brother had to guide me to locate.  But he could have sent me a direct email with a few pictures attached and his sharing this highlight of family life would have been just as well served. 

What I began to realize, aside from the fact I was forever deleting the incessant notices that I was expected to rush to check out, was that the whole social media claim itself was a little weak for my taste.  Much of what began to be shared was anti-social behavior, and whenever I decided to respond to anything - even when I could figure out what was worth it and how to reply - it was usually something that mildly upset me to deal with.  I am not by nature confrontational and so many entries on that site needed rebuttal if they deserved attention at all.  It finally just got to be much more exhausting than I had the energy to address.

So not to be stymied like the cowboy in Brokeback Mountain, I looked at that mass of comments and questions, entries from far-reaching places and many folks I've never met, and said, Facebook, I CAN quit you!  And forthwith, I deleted my account.  Took me a while and quite an effort because as many observers know, I never was completely capable of navigating that confusing site, but I found the right place to click and I clicked.  Now I feel a weight has been lifted!  My world is lighter because it is less demanding of my personal attention to someone's birthday or another new baby somewhere, or to someone's goofy little cry for attention, to someone else's proverbial slap in the face that needed a return jab that hopefully might "slap some sense into him," and so much else that made that site, to me, not very sociable.  More irritant than entertainment; more demand than delight; more revolting than refreshing.

So long, Facebook - Hello sense of relief!

4 comments:

  1. I understand your feelings. Personally, I would really miss Facebook. I'm much more confrontational than you are and also much more in need of frequent expression. I cross post from my blog to Facebook and it's a very useful platform for just "shooting the breeze," which I really like to do. It's sort of like having friends, relatives and neighbors to share a beer with, when those are scarce and hard to spend time with in the real world. I put it out there, and those who are interested interact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with much of what you say but I do find some value in facebook. I've reconnected with friends from back home that I never would have otherwise. Also, I have a group that I communicate with on a regular basis which I really enjoy. Having said all that I see no sense in having 1000 friends or more as some do many of which they do not know. I have 68 friends and I know or have something in common with all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Newlife. You seem to have managed the media well. I think I may have reached two dozen "friends" and one of them (known only by circumstance, not personally) turned out to be the sour apple. He alone was pure distraction and I can't bear to think about trying to grasp what was being passed along to my page by friends of friends of friends. All too taxing for my simple mind!

      Delete
    2. That having things passed on to my site without my approval was an irritant to me also. After a couple of pointed respnses from me and deletions, I think it's under control. I made it clear that I would decide what appeared under my name and no one else need bother. I won't hesitate to hit that delete feature.

      Delete