Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bungled Executions

Feelings about the death penalty aside, I merely have a question about the odd problems various states are having today in their execution of prisoners.

The constitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishments eventually brought us around to the concept of death by lethal injection. And today, because more and more manufacturers of lethal drugs are denying the state penal administrators their drugs of choice, we are seeing botched executions taking place.

What's the mystery here? When I have undergone surgeries lately, the very nice anesthesiologists have successfully (and quite painlessly) put me to sleep for the duration of the cutting into my flesh. The only pain I every experienced was the after-effect, which would never have arrived if I had not awakened. Why is it so terribly difficult for prisons to perform painless executions?

I can immediately think of two different solutions to the problem, if it's death that has been decided has to be the punishment.

1.) Allow that inmate to begin his slip into unconsciousness just as all surgery prep begins. Then wheel him in to an executioner's room - something of a small abattoir made for a single human. Open a vein and allow the blood to drain from the body, removing any possibility of life returning. This would also have the positive effect of having completed the first part of the morticians job.

2.) Even more humane might be to construct the executioner's room as a comfortable sealed space where the prisoner can begin dining on his chosen last meal as the room begins to fill with carbon monoxide. Death could be not only painless but probably rather satisfying. Adding the "guest's" favorite music, piped in with the gas, would be even more thoughtful.

Though I don't see myself committing some crime that would bring me to this end, I can hardly think of a nicer way to go. The real cruel punishment is the long, difficult manner of death so many humans suffer through sickness and deterioration. When I have reached the condition that is very likely to befall me, losing vitality and any quality of life, I would really appreciate it if someone who loves me would take me to that comfortable room, serve me a favorite meal and turn on the carbon monoxide. Of course that would mean that my loved one who at my request had performed such an act of kindness, would then be taken to a horrible place to be put through the torture of some kind of poorly administered execution.

1 comment:

  1. What you posted Mark makes too much sense and doesn't cost a shit load of money, so no. The government would rather inflict pain and suffering. It is what the new American government does best these days.

    ReplyDelete