Saturday, September 27, 2014

Sharing MUCH more - - -

Well, yesterday we finally found out that my various difficulties – particularly my wracking cough and a miserable lack of energy – have had good reason. Apparently I’m not through with cancer.

The rare malignancy called a desmoplastic melanoma presented as a growing tumor on my right shoulder in the first two months of 2013. By March it had been biopsied and diagnosed as cancer and had to be removed. Problems with the transitions of my Medicare coverage and various blunders (mostly mine, I’m sure) caused the actual removal of the lesion to be delayed until June 3rd, by which time it had reached about the size of a tennis ball with the upper third standing above the shoulder and the bulk of the tumor intertwined with the skeletal structure. My surgical oncologist did a remarkable job of excising the tumor and leaving no fragments that could contain cancer cells. Later tests and the cautionary use of radiation to the shoulder area gave everyone confidence that the entire cancer was eliminated. Even a sentinel node biopsy in October revealed that my lymphatic system was clear also. However, we now know a year later, that some “scout” cells had migrated into the right lung and until July of this year, did not show up on any scans. A deep and incessant cough developed in July and a chest xray was ordered, resulting in the picture of a “spot” which needed further study. A CT scan showed it to be two masses, one looking like a medium-sized egg and the other, about a third of that size, positioned above the larger one.

A first biopsy, taken while a bronchoscope was being used, was ineffective in giving any clear diagnosis. So in mid September, a PET scan was performed on one day and on the following day, a CT scan-assisted needle biopsy of the larger mass. These were finally read, studied and revealed to me yesterday, Sept. 26. The biopsied material matched the tumor that was removed last year.

Much new testing and decision making regarding my case will ensue, beginning Oct 1, with some kind of surgery and/or treatment projected to begin during October. I will continue to be my positive self, enjoying all I can manage of this good life of a pretty lucky man. I am not suffering the way billions of humans have endured and still suffer day after day. I am not (as far as I know) slated for a horrible death at the hands of fanatics. I am living a sweet and enviable life with a lovely golf course at my back gate and an even lovelier little blonde to sit with me in the patio swing to watch glorious sunsets. I will not indulge in pity parties and I suggest that anyone who relates to me at all, do so in the same old way. Laughter is always good medicine.

With the wonders of medicine and scientific advances, there is a decent chance I will yet live to watch my 8-year old grandson grow up and begin his adult life. Perhaps even some more golf will be in our future and I still look forward to the day I play a reasonably good round but he bests me in style! If none of this scenario is to be, then trust me to go in peace with the theater in my mind reeling out the great story I am confident my grandson’s life will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment