Sunday, April 8, 2012

He is Risen...

Ra, that is.  The sun god has not ceased to be honored in many thousands of years, the last two thousand or so of these all mystically combined with a Son and tied to an extended mythology. 

When some jolting image in a zany dream awoke me this morning, I was suddenly aware of the bright light coming in through the window and realized the sun was already up, which is unusual for my world.  Normally I am checking the clock every few minutes, in total darkness, and deciding when I might just as well rise from the bed and not wreck a tenuous balance of sleeping/waking time.  Then the daylight creeps into my living room as I sit with my computer on my lap and listen to the coffee brewing.  Today was different only in that I slept a few minutes into daylight and had to shake off the eerie effects of some very busy and typically confusing activity that had gone on in the vague webs of dreamland.

I did not suddenly jump to the realization I was missing some kind of sunrise service.  In fact, it was only after getting up and turning on the coffee maker that I had to deal with the reality of what day this is in the world around me - a world far more zany and confusing than dreamland.  And now I need to gather myself and prepare for dealing with actual humans who impact my life but who also feel tradition bound to make some special worshipful gestures on this day.  For the cause of personal and family peace, I must allow myself to be sucked in once again to that arcane world of eggs and bunnies.  To be less than comfortable but more in tune with others who are part of my life, I will again drive to be with those who insist on doing the Easter thing.  At least I managed to make it clear many years ago that I would have none of the go-to-meetin' part of the whole morass of Easter Madness.  My morning time, instead of sitting piously among fearful deity followers, can be enjoyed while at the steering wheel, seeing the world around me go by and relaxing in the pleasure of moving along the road.  This has long been one of my religious experiences - far more satisfying than any ceremonial religious b***s*** in which I have involved myself in the past.

So now to appreciate the fresh coffee, turn on the TV and check out what the folks in Augusta are saying about the final round of The Masters golf tournament that is getting underway even as I write.  Part of what made me decide to make the drive to the home of today's hosts was the fact I knew there would be lots of food and good Scotch, and that the television would stay tuned all afternoon to The Masters.  Terrific irony there.

3 comments:

  1. I hope the day is everything you could wish for it to be. I took care of thirsty plants and killed a few weeds that had the nerve to grow where all-powerful me didn't want them. Right now, I'm going through the sites I visit every day, yours being one of them.

    Enjoy that scotch. I think I'll just have one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too preferred watching the Masters a few weeks ago...fully agree with your views. Hi Mark...good to get in touch with you...have enjoyed reading back over some of your blogs. Keep up the good work. A lot has gone on since those days back in Big Sandy...!
    Don Miller, class of '71

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don,

      Thanks tremendously for the comment. I looked into the class listing on the ACBS website and didn't see you there in class of '71, so cannot send you a direct note. Loved hearing from you and I do hope you will remain a frequent reader here, though I'm sure some of my idealism will not match completely with your own. Still, nice to know you are out there and reading.

      Delete