Thursday, November 8, 2012

Dixville Scotch

The votes from Dixville Notch, New Hampshire came in first as usual in this election year.  They were 5 to 5.  I'm wondering how these local combatants are faring today following the election.

In my little community, if we knew the actual voting results we would not have seen a 50/50 split.  Yesterday morning when I was taking my wife to the pre-arranged medical appointment, she said she hated that I had to give up my regular Wednesday golf just to help her.  I told her that it was perfect for me to be away; there would be no enjoyment for me being around all those angry Republicans who were not going to quietly lick their wounds.

A quasi friend of mine went online to chime in with other former associates of mine in the fundamentalist religion milieu.  There were several, on both facebook and a website dedicated to the old crowd from long ago, who were lamenting the loss of the election and expressing fear for us all due to our national departure from God.  This friend sent me some lines of sloppy sentimentalism and superstition, to which I responded with the question of why she thought I would be a pleased recipient of such drivel.  She knows my philosophical stance and should have known I would not simply read her words without retort.  Her own follow-up reply was to tell me I needn't have been so mean to her - that I should go and pour another Scotch!

I wonder whether there was enough Scotch to bridge the rift between the two sides yesterday in Dixville Notch!

No comments:

Post a Comment