Friday, January 18, 2013

Assault Indeed!

On January 19, I can offer another Happy New Year to you, however for me it is still a guarded re-entry to the land of the living and active.  Even today, my internal jury is still out as to whether I should chance going out tomorrow for a relaxed eighteen holes of golf in 80 degree warmth here in California.  Reason for "guarded" re-entry?  I felt well enough after a five-day cold and sore throat in December to get myself up and out for a quiet and brief new year's celebration; then beginning January 2nd, my body rebelled in all respiratory related areas and only yesterday was I able to speak clearly with enough volume to be heard a few feet away.  Still today, if I break into a laugh, I will certainly break into another fit of coughing that racks my body almost as strongly as it did a week ago.  And for many of those days and nights, my cough was dangerously close to causing long-term damage to my system.  On the worst night, I came to a partially awake hallucination that I had died during the previous attack, so it was thoroughly frustrating that I was still able to suffer another!  Soon I will go in for a physical and will discuss with my doctor the concerns I have for that potential damage.  (Yes, I will consider a shrink, too!)

'Nuff of that stuff - I'm here today to say, "I'm here today!"

The heading of this post was not a reference to the cold/flu assault on my body, but on the same assault all Americans are dealing with right now - the assault on logic and common sense.  Our national political leaders have acted truly in a strong leadership role to ask all citizens to be reasonable and sensible about curbing violence perpetrated by gun-wielding mass murderers in our midst.  Yet the radical elements among us want to press for the right under the second amendment to have any and every type of weapon available to anyone who wants to arm himself.  Can anyone actually see this as logical?  Reasonable?  I'm pleased that polls show that something north of three quarters of our citizens say, "No."  (And I don't even want to meet anyone who says, "Yes.")

The real assault being waged now is on our national peace and integrity by those aforementioned radicals.  I was noticing the chinks in the armour of the NRA that are being revealed by the polls and the highlighted words of Bush-41 who ceremoniously resigned from membership in the NRA over their harsh stances back in 1995, and the strong appeal by the GOP's god, Ronald Reagan when he supported the ban on assault rifles.  So I began to think perhaps there exists an association of more reasonable gun owners who can live with the idea that protecting the right to bear arms includes living within sensible guidelines.  And perhaps this kind of organization could launch a concerted campaign right now to pick up new members who are sick of the way their NRA national representatives are going so far to the radical side that their words and actions mis-represent their base membership.

Good luck with that!  My Google search revealed only (so far) groups who sound even crazier and promise to be "not so compromising" as the NRA!

Radical fools are committing the ugly assault on the whole human species.  Even being a pacifist, I must admit that it occurs to me that all such radical fools should be invited to move into a walled (with bullet-proof dome) playground called Rad-Land, equipped with an unlocked free arsenal of every type of hand-held weapon ever devised and an unlimited supply of ammo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment