Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Prophecy for Fun

The very concept of prophecy has long been relegated to my misguided youth, but today I just felt the desire to use the term once more.  I will make a prediction - a prophecy - that I can check back on for the next five to six years and enjoy my long-haul approach to fantasy sports.  My way of seeing the fun, anyway.

Many of my golfing buddies have varying slants on the career of Tiger Woods and many of them adjust as the seasons roll by.  Occasionally someone has to eat crow due to his past loud personal statements made at this time or that of Tiger's amazing six years as the top golfer in the world or during his three years of struggle on and off the course following his marital difficulties.  My own assumptions have always been (since the phenom first began to dominate the game about fifteen years ago) that he is already the greatest player of the game and will almost surely be recognized as such by practically everyone at some point.

I was sure in my own mind (and said so publically without being loud and bellicose) during his worst times in the last few years, that Tiger was far from finished winning tournaments and would return to the top spot in the world rankings before he moves over to the Champions (senior) Tour after turning fifty.

Following the most recent tournament ending last Monday, Tiger is in second place in two categories of measuring professional golfing success: he is seven behind Sam Snead in total career tournament wins and four behind Jack Nicklaus in winning what we call Major tournaments.  (Only four of these are played each year.)  The majors are the most watched and seem to define a golfer's true measure of strength and prowess; Jack is considered by many fans to be the greatest ever to play the game.

My prophecy:  Tiger Woods (now 37 years old) will be number one in the win record before he turns 40 years of age and will surpass Jack Nicklaus to become the number one Major winner by the time he is 43.

So there.  Check out my predictions over the next few years.  And one day, probably all will have to admit that Earl Tiger Woods is the best golfer ever.  And I doubt anyone will overtake him in my lifetime.


On another topic - Why has MSNBC's Hardball commentator Chris Matthews not taken advantage of this highly unlikely coming spectacle of brother meeting brother in coaching the Superbowl football teams, by at least one time adjusting the opening line of his show to:  Let's play Harbaugh!

1 comment:

  1. I'm neither a golfer or a sports enthusiast, but I agree that Tiger is not over. Nowhere near it.

    ReplyDelete