Wednesday, June 12, 2013

FORE ! ! !

The fingers are crossed for the upcoming surgery to begin rebuilding my body which now has a rather large hole in it where cancer was removed.  But I am also using the fingers even on the right hand!  That's right, no damage at all took place during all that cutting deeply into my right shoulder and downward into the upper body.  Now the hole is stuffed with some kind of material to keep it prepared for plastic surgeons to begin their work.

Yesterday's meeting with the oncologist relieved me of any more worry about cancer, showing the pathology report that all cancer was extracted.  So tomorrow the plastic surgeon needs to look me over and set a date to perform the first of the surgeries to fill in the cavity.

Even though some of the concerns are still there - concerns that accompany any cutting into the body - I am relatively comfortable with the likelihood my body will respond well and that no damage to nerves or other important body parts will pilfer any beauty from the positive picture.  It is very likely (and only a golfer can understand this) that the surgery which will weaken my right side will improve my swing.  So a new day in golf may be on the horizon for me.  Watch out, 2014!

          UPDATE 6/29/2013
We are not quite yet into July and I am now saying I may be on a new fast-track toward the above goal of playing golf again.  Yesterday may have been my final surgery that will start my last flight-path to the return to good health and activity.  My body responded so well at each step of the cancer removal and new flesh growth to fill the void that yesterday the plastic surgeons placed a skin graft over the wound.  The pain today in that area of my right thigh where the skin was borrowed is something just short of excrutiating and I'm glad again for good pain meds.  But the best medicine for me is the knowledge that my body is well along the way to full recovery.  I just might be playing golf before Thanksgiving!  Now there is something for which I will truly be thankful.

Thanks for hanging in there with me through this misery;  good cheer and good health to all! 

2 comments:

  1. That's such encouraging news! We know how much you enjoy golfing, so we're hoping you'll be back on the course as good as, or even better than, before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis says she doesn't want to start any rumors or anything like that, but she strongly suspects cancer may be caused by Republicans -- especially the congressional kind.

    ReplyDelete