Sunday, June 30, 2013

..., Liberty and Pursuit of - What?

"Don't say, 'happiness,' you undeserving throngs of lowly citizens.  Oh no, not on my watch!  Your happiness means nothing to me; you are to do my bidding and make me happy!  If you don't see things my way, you need to just shut up and do as I tell you."

The above silent quote may well be in the far back reaches of the mind of any one of a large number of today's Republican members of the House of Representatives.  So far back in the brain that they don't really recognize it in themselves - much as they don't know what racism is.  Just who is being represented by these Tea Party-type elected members?  Themselves first and their benefactors second.  Constituants?  Those low-lifes who happen to live in the member's district?  Well, certainly they have no say in anything a Congressman does.  They just vote and then shut up!

Last week, SCOTUS handed down a decision to toss out a major segment of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.  Next day, several (red) states were eagerly diving into the privilege of redistricting and other maneuvers that allowed total inequality in voting rights to prevail.  After the next day's ruling by the high court, one that threw out the unconstitutional provisions of a law discriminating against LGBT folks, the people of that community (finally!) immediately took their advantage as well. 

So the august body of SCOTUS made it clear that the second matter was within their domain to render their decision of unconstitutionality, therefore the DOMA business should be considered settled law.  But in the first matter, the court gave responsibility of voting rights protection back to Congress to handle in fairness and logical legislative fashion.  Then what did we first hear from those marvelous servants of the law and of the people of our nation?  Boehner's minions wanted to immediately jump onto the business of fixing the DOMA law back into viability and they haven't yet shown any interest, in any overt public way, of re-writing and passing the Voting Rights Act - the one job the court gave them to handle.

We have often heard it said that Republicans do not seem to be able to feel shame.  But what most pundits will avoid saying, so they don't sound too harsh or judgmental and maybe lose audience, is that Republicans seem to be very capable of feeling hatred.  They appear to hate actual freedom for any individual and they seem to hate all who do not line up with their personal beliefs.  Oh, sure, many of these same hateful people dutifully wear the proud and preachy badge of Christianity - speaking of love whenever it might help them gain votes - but they do not know how to love anyone but themselves.

I have made it clear that I am not a Democrat; my own attitudes toward freedom and happiness are far more democratic than that!  And the Democrats as a party are often too spineless, even when they are totally in the right.  But at least Democrats have a general tendency to want to do whatever will help most of our citizens.  Republicans apparently have one over-arching tendency and that is to do all they can to control the citizenry.  Freedom?  Happiness?  Mere words that land on deaf ears in our hateful Republican House of "Representatives."

Please, American electorate, wise up for the 2014 elections.  We deserve actual representation.

8 comments:

  1. Don't blame one party. Blame both! Their both worthless piles of shit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem agreeing with this assessment. It's why I am an Independent and fiercely so. Perhaps you saw my post in which I outlined a more "perfect" national legislature. It would consist of more Independents than either of the two major parties. At least some actions might get done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Painful Truth, if the democrats had controlled congress, we'd long ago have been out of this recession and something would be getting done about voting rights post haste. I'm a registered independent but I've been voting a straight democratic ticket for some time now. I agree that there are aspects of both parties that need overhaul, but the rethugs are totally off their rockers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never buy into the lie Al. These people who run the country do so with money from outside interests that care nothing for us. It is fascist-ism. The joining of corporate and religious interests.

    Both parties are the same party, and you, and I, and Mark are not invited to share in the wealth! We are the source of financial energy that fuels this abomination we call the USA government!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correction. Political interests. How I put in "religious" is due to the nature of our website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Painful,

    I awoke this morning thinking I had cut my response to you a bit short; then I see Al picked up on this as well.

    Not to praise Democrats in Congress (they definitely do not deserve praise!), but I do feel Al was reasonably close on some points. They would have done more - witness how much they went against the flow to pass the Affordable Care Act), but they seem to need large majorities to do anything. They don't have what it takes to steer from a position in the minority the way Re-thugs seem to do.

    But my point was about the stench. I didn't try to deny there are abundant "piles of shit" in Congress, of both parties. I merely want to point out that not all shit stinks to the same degree. Growing up on a farm, I never thought much about the smell of cow manure, but I took a wide berth around the pig pen. Too foul a smell. When the occasional horse visited, the biscuits deposited were of a strong odor that also out-did the cow manure. Even with humans, there are times when my own fecal deposits are of practically no odor and other times when it drives me out of the room quickly, even after opening the window, spraying air freshener and turning on a fan.

    The current House of Representatives must have all the windows open and many fans blowing to clear a little of the smell being deposited by Republicans - particularly the Tea Party element. They really STINK!

    Sorry if this goes against the grain or perhaps a former party affiliation of your own, but I do still feel - as stated in my original post - that in a very general way, Democrats prefer to help the common citizens and Republicans seek only to control them. And that STINKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      I am not offended. I've been a communist, a Democrat, and a Republican. I hate them all, and even some in the Libertarian movement. Its all for us (and that's not "us" but them.

      It has really been this way since the founding of the Republic. Take a look at the old political cartoons from the days of Lincoln. Its the same shit but with different names.

      My beef now days is with community organizers. I run across them every now and then. They are the ones who show a community their problem (that really doesn't exist) and create division. There is no greater evil than that. This kind of behavior starts wars.

      On a personal note, I get along better with liberals. I spent the 4th with a neighbor talking about these illegal and unethical wars our country is waging. We talked on Obama care and a host of other items. We all want the same thing and that is to be left alone. Phase out the social programs that are reaking havoc on our country, bring the troops home from around the world, default on the debt, trash the Fed bank and use metals as currencies. All this will bring us liberty and freedom as we severely downsize and decentralize the federal government.

      Delete
  7. Very good summation, Mark. I like the analogy, but I'm also an old farm boy.

    ReplyDelete