Wednesday, November 27, 2013

INclusive -- EXclusive

Compassionate -- Disinterested

Involved -- Distant

Tolerant -- Unforgiving

Broadminded -- Narrow

Lenient -- Exacting

Suffering -- Insufferable

Liberal -- Conservative

Democrat -- Republican

Inclusive -- Exclusive

Not just words on a list; these are observations from news and politics. I am politically an Independent, so I get to watch from a perch as separated as I can manage, observing how the two major parties operate. I like the left side far better in most policy fights. I prefer the characteristics in the left column.

Never have I understood the attitude of desire to GET and to HAVE at the expense of others. The desire to GIVE and to SHARE makes my personal world a better place.

I live among Republicans. Do they ever give? Absolutely. Some wealthy neighbors have even been helpful to me personally. And on the grand scale, multi-millionaires give a great deal in numbers of dollars to charities and they pay taxes; the combination often totals as much as 25%, 35% or even more of their wealth. This leaves them with only many more millions to keep and to use in their struggle through life. On the macro level, the wealthy are able to do great things with their financial strength, and many do. [Witness the likes of Bill and Melinda Gates whose politics I don't even know but whose generosity is legendary.] Others may do awful things with it instead. [Witness the likes of Charles and David Koch whose politics I know very well and whose self-interest is legendary.]

I do realize that by listing those words in the introduction I am emphasizing huge generalities, but I am suggesting that we step back and look at the huge picture - the "macro" view. Do I know Democrats who are selfish and Republicans who are generous - on the micro level? Absolutely. But I am asking that you see the macro view and consider our nation's plight.

Observe Democrats. Do they give? Almost constantly, whether they have much to give or almost nothing (the "widow's mite," so to speak.) But more than just giving their meager amounts from their nominal wealth, they seem to want to see others benefit as much as possible, respecting the effort and strengths expended. (And policies generated by Democratic politicians tend more toward that inclusive attitude than do the policies prefered by Republicans.) If I am down-and-out for whatever reason, I will consider turning to them instead of the wealthy Republicans I know. Why? Because even though liberals may have little, they often share it with delight. Far better for me to accept miniscule amounts from truly giving people than to receive much larger amounts from those who have plenty and may give readily but will hold a string attached.

Happy Thanksgiving, regardless of your own views!

No comments:

Post a Comment