Thursday, August 4, 2011

A By-way to Ramble ...

Lately I have been enjoying a verbal (online) stroll down Memory Lane, at the same time tapping a source of new friends, all thanks to long-ago friends who took the effort to build a new website in early 2011.

So, this new effort of my own is an attempt to provide for the many whose thoughts and opinions rove to the far reaches of philosphy, humor, reality, reverie and political incorrectness - as my own readily do - a place to discourse without fear.  This is a by-way for us to ramble. 

You will note that I freely play with my own name in the very title of the blog site, using it as a verb form, just for fun.  Those who knew me almost half century ago recall I had a different name, something I often call my "maiden name," which was "Salyer."  And even back then, I toyed with the name in my twisted manner of  forcing words in general into a multiple-use game.  It was a noun form I used then to fit the name.  Some of my rhymes and other writings in my college days were hand-printed and given a label at the bottom (or on the backs of cards) of salyer-tations.  I once even teamed up with a co-ed to produce some cards under our private label of g-reed-ings & salyer-tations.  Her last name is obvious.  Can't remember now when or why our small card company failed.  Most likely my off-the-wall humor, or lack of any discernible humor, frightened the lady away.  She may have been very wise.

So today, as a semi-retired senior citizen with far too many loose-end thoughts flitting through my mind and far too little will power to coax a manuscript treatment out of any of them, I may find that a blog is right up my alley.  Now this alley could morph into a "long and winding road" with the occasional hair-pin turn and frequent detours.  But you're invited to travel it with me and see where it leads.  And along the way, perhaps my own free-associating ramble will encourage others to toss out their far-ranging comments and proffer new ideas that could enrich us all.

Go ahead!  Express yourself.  This IS a Neutral Zone, and anything goes.  The only thing that will shut it down is lack of interest.

2 comments:

  1. My comments have to do with the English language as it relates to pronouns and verbs. Have you ever noticed how many people (even on TV shows) don't know how to use the verb "to go?" I hear people say, for example, "He should have went when he had a chance." I hear the same type of sentence with "to do," "to give," "to see," and many others, I am sure. As for the pronouns, there are subjective pronouns -- I, you, he, she or it, we, you, they. And there are objective pronouns -- me, you, him, her or it, us, you and them. It is so funny to hear people try to use these pronouns properly. It's like if they want to be more formal, they will use I instead of me, even though I is incorrect. As an example, people will say, "I'll tell you a secret, but it is just between you and I." Me is correct here. Not I. Between is a preposition, "between you and me" is a prepositional phrase. Objective pronouns belong in prepositional phrases...not subjective pronouns.

    Okay, that's all I'm going to say on the subject at this time. I may want to write more later. Thanks for the opportunity to express myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely gave me a great deal to ponder. I think being too critical harms only the critic, especially if the one being criticized doesn't realize the criticism. Therefore, I will certainly work on being more free in my speech and being more tolerant of those illiterate morons who don't know how use their own language.

    ReplyDelete