Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Little Help from my Friends (Please!)

A friend of mine who is as new as I am to the blogoshpere just tried to sign in to the "followers" area.  Very pleasing to hear about this interest in my new blog.  My friend figured she could do this sign-up with an assumed username and maintain privacy.  This did not prove as easily accomplished, however, and her actual name popped up after registering.  [Her explanation to me was that "It knew who I was and just put my real name there!"  Cute.  She and I share this notion that some of these systems drifting in the ether are like poltergeists, not all of them either benevolent or just ornery.]  We have deleted that name entry.  (I need to protect my friends from openly associating with me, a known nut case!)

Another person thoughtfully offered a comment after my very very first post.  I wanted to merely reply to that person within the "comments" area, but I found I could not readily do so.  Attempting to add a comment to a comment threw me into an endless loop of signing in/sending comment.  I ended up using a new post to make my reply, adding a fuller treatment of the subject.  No harm done here, but I wonder why I couldn't do the reply in the simple method I first tried.  "Simple" probably explains it; I'm just to simple to grasp the nuances of this site.  Realizing almost all difficulties here are due to "pilot error," I beg for help!

Since I obviously started something with only a seed of an idea and little technical prepration for handling it, I would be very appreciative if anyone who knows more about the workings of blog sites, or even how this particular "Blogger" site works, would toss out a pointer or two.  For instance, how can I simplify the use of the "Comments" area for anyone to drop me a note?  And can I as site "manager" (I speak as a fool), move comments around or archive them with links to find a particular respondent's grouped comments?  This operation seems to to be available in some other blogs I have visited.

Obviously there are no time-restrictions on this request for assistance.  The sooner, the better would be nice, naturally.  But if I prove to be capable of keeping this going for years, most likely I will need to continually learn new things from others more capable and experienced than I.  Perhaps my five-year-old grandson will be able to teach me some technical know-how, at least within a very few years.

Good Cheer from the Neutral Zone     

2 comments:

  1. We shall see now whether my extra research has allowed me to comment on my own post! So far, no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - as "Anonymous" I can comment, which means hopefully anyone can. However, the system won't allow me to comment from my own account to this area - perhaps a confused loop effect halts progress. So YOU try it, please - using an assumed username, I hope, to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete