Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Music Fulfills

Kudos to organizers of the Grammy Awards this year. Someone came to the realization that a great many old farts in the country might tune in (at least for some of the show) if it would yield a glimpse of Paul and Ringo. I caught part of it, then recorded the bulk of the show and sorted through it the next evening, naturally backing up the recording a time or two to more clearly see the oldies perform. It was deeply satisfying to see the remaining half of the Beatles, up there knocking out melodies as senior citizens. I even enjoyed watching Yoko bopping out to the music.

Much of the beat causing Yoko, Paul, Ringo and scores of others in the crowd to show lots of movement and pleasure, was provided by new young artists. Carole King also performed and she blended her rich old tones with those sharper new sounds of a recent arrival on the music scene. The youngster (name I can't recall) gushed later about the privilege of actually joining one of her greatest icons on the stage and Ms. King returned the comment that she was so glad to see the future of music in good hands. Quite a successful and entertaining duet, I felt personally.

And a successful awards program! No, I cannot say graciously that I enjoyed all of the show but I certainly appreciated a job well done and much of the output of new artists impressed me. Another youngster whose name I didn't know or remember, sang a powerful song with a message that all kids around the age of puberty should hear and heed. Amazing stuff coming out of young musicians - along with "stuff" that I cannot call amazing but certainly seems to turn on the youth of today. Hope "...it's all good."

No comments:

Post a Comment