Sunday, June 8, 2014

Progress Will Prevail

People who are called "Progressives" are often thought of as "bleeding heart liberals" or other such colorful, disgusting-sounding rebels. The simple fact is, those who are NOT progressive, who cannot face progress with calm acceptance of the inevitable, will be overwhelmed and miserable excuses for citizens of this country.

The opposite of progressive is "regressive," and it appears that is exactly what the common Republican is today. I am totally fed up with all the forceful statements and sometimes actions relating to taking back our country. What that has to mean today is that for some people, the desire for the nostalgic image of America overwhelms the logic facing everyday life. It also means, in practically every case, that seeing Dwight Eisenhower in the white house would be so much more wonderful than seeing some black upstart there in his office. Truth is, the two have many similar qualities and we are very fortunate to have the strength and intelligence of President Obama in office today - but it will be half a century before history makes that very clear.

Though we all can enjoy re-watching the old film It's A Wonderful Life, there are millions of white citizens who cannot accept the changes that spell out the reality of our America of 2014. The immanently lovable Jimmy Stewart and his beautiful bride, Donna Reed, are easy to watch and adore. But the film reflects a long-gone era, not today's real world. (And by the way, things weren't perfect in Bedford Falls nor in any bygone era.) Yet that's the world Republicans want to recapture. Too bad. I have respect for history but also for change. And in our world, change always wins in the end.

And who are those who cannot invite or accept change? Old white people. That is, most of the old white people in this modern world. In age and race, I am one of them, but I'm no part of them in fundamental values. I detest regressive attitudes.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mark,
    I want you to know how much I appreciate your positive comments about our current President. It is nice to know that there are a few sane people left in our country. I am surrounded by those who express what to me is appalling behavior and thought processes. It is almost frightening to realize how they really think. A few months ago when the President made a trip to Dallas, one of the women I work with said she hoped that what happened to Kennedy would happen to Obama. I told her that was a very bad thing to say. No one else said a word, making me think they all agreed with her. It made me wonder what kind of hateful people I work with, not to mention being disrepectful of the office of the President.

    I think Obama's presidency has brought out the racial hatred that only appeared to have subsided in recent history. Obviously, it never went away and was there all along, just beneath the surface.

    Anyway, thank you. I enjoy your blog.

    Joyce Rutter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind words, Dear Joyce - and SO GOOD to see that you still check in here from time to time.

      Delete