Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Simple Consideration

Being inconsiderate is often probably just a product of being lazy. Or maybe forgetful.

The sweet-voiced lady who called me at the end of May could have instead sent a large, ugly man to find me and hit me very hard in the solar plexus. Instead, she mentioned off-handedly that she was getting a few nibbles on her home and wanted to see whether I had any homes available in my little senior community where she could down-size after her large home sells.

She had stopped me last fall while I was passing by a home where she was visiting, here in my little community; she liked the feeling here and was hoping to move here one day soon. So we had the discussions leading to what she might do and one thing she was sure of was that "Come June of next year, I want to list my home." We arranged for an associate and me to check out her property and give her an idea of the market value, along with projections for the next eight-to-nine months leading to June. She was so very appreciative and said that when June came around, she would allow me to list her home and look for another one here in my neighborhood.

The fact that escrows have been cancelling like crazy in the last two weeks and that my income is virtually nothing other than my meager social security, surely played into my astonishment and my difficulty breathing after I had welcomed her call and said I was going to be calling her in two days to set up the listing. To find that she had listed with a happen-upon agent who came to a garage sale, having no connection whatever previously, simply knocked the breath out of me for a moment.

Simple consideration would have been to remember the guy she sought out and asked for assistance back when I was recovering from surgeries and struggling to keep going each day. But she merely "forgot."

Now she has called again in the hope I have found something for her here. If I do happen to find something, while listings in my neighborhood are almost non-existent, I might manage to make upwards of a thousand dollars. had she stayed with the promise of letting me list her home, I could easily have earned five times that amount, But, "Oh well."

No comments:

Post a Comment